OKLAHOMA CITY — It’s championship day at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark as No. 6 Texas and No. 8 Oklahoma State clash for the 2017 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship game at 1 p.m. CT today. The Longhorns and Cowboys advanced out of their divisions to secure a spot in the final game, going a combined 6-1 vs. the league’s other six participants. Here are a few notes heading into today’s Championship:
Big 12 Championship Pregame Notes
- Texas is currently 5-0 all-time in the Big 12 Championship game. (2002, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2015)
- Oklahoma State is currently 1-2 all-time in the Big 12 Championship game. (2004, 2014, 2015)
- Texas leads OSU 7-5 in all-time series of Big 12 Championship play.
- No. 6 seeds are currently 38-31 all-time in the Big 12 Championship play. The last No. 6 seed to win a Championship title was Kansas in 2006.
- No. 8 seeds are currently 23-33 all-time in the Big 12 Championship play. The No. 8 seed has never won a Big 12 Championship title. The last appearance by a No. 8 seed in the Championship game was Missouri in 2011.
Texas (37-21, 3-1 Big 12 Championship)
- Texas leads all Big 12 opponents with five Big 12 Championship titles.
- The Longhorns most recent Big 12 Championship title came in 2015 where Texas defeated Oklahoma State 6-3 in Tulsa, Okla.
- Texas has reached the championship semifinals the last four years (2014-2017) after missing the tournament in 2013.
Oklahoma State (29-25, 3-0 Big 12 Championship)
- Oklahoma State has advanced to the championship game three times in five seasons under head coach Josh Holliday and have played in three of the last four tournament finals.
- Oklahoma State has one Big 12 Championship title. In 2004, Oklahoma State beat Missouri 10-9 in 13 innings in Arlington, Texas.
- A tournament title would secure OSU’s 43rd NCAA Regional appearance and fifth straight under Holiday.
- OSU is 5-0 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark this season, winning their final two games of the season vs. Oklahoma and the first three games of the Big 12 Championship.