Eclipse blotter: Tracking Chicago sports team’s memes – Chicago Tribune
We’ve been shadowing Chicago’s team feeds to see which would come up with the most creative ways to capitalize on Monday’s solar eclipse. Here’s a countdown of the five best efforts.
5. White Sox: “Wow. This is not what we expected.”
Hmm, a hand holding a baseball eclipsing the sun. Um, OK. Someone likely fried their retinas to shoot this.
4. Bears: “It’s glorious. #SolarEclipse2017”
While casting the Bears logo in place of the moon makes a nice visual, the concept itself is rather basic.
3. Wolves: “Meanwhile, in Chicago…”
The Grandpa Simpson meme (“Old man yells at cloud”) is a little bit of a layup, but the classics die hard.
2. Bulls: “The Greatest (Eclipse) of All Time #SolarEclipse2017”
The ball palmed by the United Center’s Michael Jordan statue resembles the moon as it blocks out the sun. It’s not only a striking image, but a metaphor for Jordan eclipsing his basketball contemporaries.
1. Bears: “#Bears return to the practice field during historic #SolarEclipse17. Check out the pics.”
Black pictures? That’s inspired. And not far from the truth when you consider the team’s photo and video blackouts during training camp.